Friday, August 19, 2011

No Business Like Show Business



There is absolutely nothing more wonderful than being onstage. This summer my dear dad and I performed in Hello, Dolly! It was divine! I'm sure you've noticed that I'm crying in about half of the pictures...don't worry...I wasn't PMSing during the entire show...My character, named Ermengarde, is known to wail!!! It was a challenge, but I tried to mimic Lucy from the Peanuts cartoon, looking straight up to the heavens, clenching my fists and letting out a "WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! while stomping my feet like a child off of Super Nanny! It was quite fun! My partner, Michael called me Armageddon which seemed to fit quite appropriately;) Oh, and my daddy! Boy, am I a proud daughter! You see my dad kinda has two left feet...let's just say I didn't get my dancing feet from him:P But, you wouldn't believe how much he improved in his dancing this summer! He and I would stay up late after rehearsal and practice his dance steps by the dim light of the kitchen...he would even show my friends when they came over, giving them a free preview! I tear up a little thinking about my dad, performing his heart out<3 It's been almost a month since the final curtain closed on Hello, Dolly! and I miss it more than anything..."There's magic in the theater, and the theater is magic!" Beautiful words and so true! I miss the adrenaline rush and the stifled laughs backstage...those out-of-breath moments after a dance number when you and your partner are giving each other whispers of encouragement like "Almost over" and "Don't forget to sparkle" and then "Ah, thank God, the curtain's closing!" It's all magic...every single bit of it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment